BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

20 January 2013

making friends and scones

This weekend has been so fun!
Friday night, I went to the Kennedy Center, where they put on free shows at their Millennium Stage at 6, 365 days a year. Friday night, the Poor Old Shine was playing.  They are a fun and talented Americana/folksy group that is along the lines of Mumford and Sons and that I possibly like more than Mumford and Sons, but don't tell anyone. (I feel like I should like Mumford and Sons, I really do, but I'm looking forward to more variety than banjo build-up to angry shout-singing--help me out here, boys)
Anywayssss.
This is the best I could find on the Tube of a favorite.

Afterwards, we went back to Artfully Chocolate in Del Ray.  Holy moly, I love that place. The Marilyn converted me to white chocolate.
Go. There.
Then the evening proceeded to birthday party hoppin.  Again, more making friends tactics.

Saturday morning, I joined the group of my new friends, Marjorie and Joe, called The Greatness Initiative Social Club (GISC) to do service at the Points of Light service event in honor of MLK day.  We put together kits for our troops abroad.  The Director of Homeland Security, Mrs. Napolitano, was a speaker and I got to shake her hand!


Photo: Feeling extra secure. #napolitano #2013mlkday
my lovely roommate, Taryn, and Isis and Napolitano 
(stole this from Taryn cuz I didn't get a picture)

We went through the lines a couple of times and the last time we went, there was a huge crowd at one of the tables. I soon realized that it was VP Joe Biden making kits! Uh, I've only been here for 16 days and I have already seen the VP of America.
all I could think of was "Parks and Rec," when Leslie Knope fulfills her lifelong dream of meeting Joe Biden

But the most important figure I met was...wait for it...I know you're excited.....
Bullseye, the Target dog!!! I KNOW!!! BE JEALOUS!!
But, honestly, I didn't know that these people/dogs would be there and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to serve the men and women who help keep America safe. Thanks to Marjorie and Joe for letting me participate! #supportourtroops

I tried out Potbelly, which is a local sandwich joint that one of my roommates highly suggested to me when I moved here. I was not disappointed!

Last night, Taryn and I had a hot cocoa and scones party at our house. Neither of us had made scones before, but they were a hit! 
Taryn made Orange Almond Scones and I made Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones (added the chocolate chips, of course) and Strawberry Lemonade Scones.  They were all pretty easy to make and they were so yummy!!
Add some hot cider and cocoa with the mixins and a fire pit out back, and you have yourself a party!
blurry backyard




Have a great Sabbath, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment