BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

26 January 2013

Bureau of Engraving and Printing and NMAH

What I love about working at the Ripley Center is the fact that I have access to 3 museums/galleries without even leaving the building (shhh, secret tunnels...).  So during my lunch breaks, I have been venturing underground to the different sections, a bit at a time. Thursday, I went to the Freer Gallery, where they have mostly Asian art.
The Peacock Room was my favorite--click here for the interesting story behind the room





Yesterday I learned how money was made, which was probably not the smartest thing to do right now seeing as I am unemployed and in need of money. It's hard to not have income and see that they make $64,000,000 in bills a day.  Why don't they just donate some to me? Huh? Come on, I'd totally help with pumping it back into the economy (a trip to the mall, anyone?). No? Ok.
The tour was short, since it's pretty straight forward how they make money. Coding and coloring to make sure no one duplicates our bills. Special paper. Franklin on one, Jackson on the other. A guy working the last machine--that does the final cutting and packaging--held a stack of bills up and a sign that said "$100,000" (the sign was because we were behind glass). Thanks a lot, man, way to just wave it in my face!

I then walked across the mall to the National Museum of American History. I think that this is my favorite museum and it has my favorite object from the Smithsonian: The Star-Spangled Banner. I get goosebumps every time I see it! Some other highlights from this museum are: Dorothy's shoes from the yellow brick road scene in "The Wizard of Oz," Elphaba's dress from the musical "Wicked," one of the first telephones, and Kermit the Frog.  They currently have a special exhibit about the Emancipation Proclamation and black rights and they have the counter where the sit-ins happened at Greensboro. 
The Star-Spangled Banner room


Hi-hoy, Kermit the Frog here!


A copy of the Declaration of Independence and Jefferson's desk where he drafted the declaration


Counter from Greensboro sit-ins


piece of the LDS Nauvoo Temple--we love Mormons!


defying gravity


records-->tape players-->walkmans-->iPods

Last night, Taryn and I saw "The Hobbit" on IMAX at the Air and Space Museum. I've already seen it, but it was cool to see it on the HUGE screen and to be at the Air and Space after hours ("Night at the Museum"-esque). 
I'd say that the Smithsonian has been treating me well this week! :)

2 comments: