BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

05 March 2010

Wut up, Shakespeare?

BACKTRACK: SATURDAY
I would just skip over this and move on with my life, BUT Saturday was noteworthy. Annie and I walked across the street (literally) and entered the world of Young Victoria aka Kensington Palace. It wasn’t the most extravagant palace, but the current exhibit is about the debutantes from a long time ago. It was really cute! I learned how to curtsy and I brushed up on my waltzing skills (acquired from my first semester in college=long live world dance class).

Someday my prince will come.

TUESDAY
Annie and I finished up a walk today through the financial district by the Royal Exchange and the Stock Exchange. This might be the coolest place ever. I feel like the Britons fully appreciate their buildings. Honestly, everywhere I look it’s another building that just takes my breath away. It’s an architect’s dream.
Lloyd Building (east london)
{Lloyd Building-the insides are outsides}
Royal Exchange
{Royal Exchange-amazing portico design}
That night was girls’ therapy night on the top bunks. I love how it’s just a sleepover every night here and we talk and laugh constantly. We were talking about how perfect it worked out with roommates. Each individual room has just clicked so well and we get along great. We also talk about the fun things that we’re going to do once we’re back in P-town and I’m really excited for that.

WEDNESDAY
Today’s day trip was Shakespeare Day. We started out not doing Shakespeare, but going to Warwick Castle. Imagine a combination between Disneyland and a really old castle and you get Warwick Castle. Kira, Brittany, Annie and I played in the towers singing “Guildaland” and taking fun pictures with the creepy wax figures. There was also this really fun peacock garden with real life peacocks strutting around. Across the pond in the gardens is the world’s largest trebuchet. Funny story: Being on culture committee, I signed up for the presentation on the Castle and when I announced on the bus that Warwick had the world’s largest trebuchet, people started yelling: “WHAT’S A TREBUCHET?” And I was like: “Really? Do you not know what that is?” and had to explain it to them.
which person's wax?
{which one's not real?}
Warwick Castle
{Guy's Tower at Warwick Castle}

Funny story #2: At the top of Guy's Tower (where there are NO guys, btw) and we were all taking pictures. I look over at Kira, off by herself, leaning on the wall, looking contemplative, and singing softly to herself about our beloved Guildaland. Of course, it caught on and we all decided to sing along in our special voices...


The first stop on our Shakespeare tour was Anne Hathaway’s house. No, I thought it was Anne Hathaway as in the actress, but it’s Anne Hathaway as in Shakespeare’s wifey.

The second stop was The Birthplace (yes, that’s the official title and yes they capitalize it) at Stratford-Upon-Avon. If you hadn’t guessed it yet, it’s where Shakespeare was born and lived until he was 18 and he married Anne. It didn’t really hit me throughout the day that I was in the palce where Shakespeare lived. THE William Shakespeare. It’s kind of a big deal, right?

Third stop: New Place/Nash’s House. This is where Shakespeare lived for a time at the end of his life and at the peak of his career. Shakespeare was mostly away in London working on his career, but this is where his family resided.

Final stop: Trinity Church & Shakespeare’s gravesite. It was a pretty surreal day and I felt that I got to learn more about the man, William Shakespeare.

Annie and I then stopped into this cute little pub and had really good fish n chips.

The group then had the opportunity to see “King Lear” in the theatre there in Stratford-Upon-Avon in the coolest theatre ever. It was fashioned like the globe, where the stage was mostly central and our seats where almost behind the stage. It was a really really really good production. The director created this war-like theme with WWI costumes mixed with medieval costumes and a perfectly crazy Lear.
We were out for 17 hours-longest trip, yet. But SO worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment