BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

25 March 2010

Only 23 days left?!?!?! booooooo

FRIDAY

Our new goal for Fridays after classes or day trips or whatever we do is to go to Borough Market and feast. Borough is this wonderful market filled with food and drink a-plenty. This time, I had Mongolian chicken curry and rice, freshly-squeezed OJ, and a choco-chip and cherry muffin. Oh my deliciousness. You can’t beat Borough. Brit and Kira got ostrich burgers and Annie got this sausage sandwich thing. Everywhere you look is something new to try and love.

Our tummies were happy as we walked down the Thames to the Tate Modern (museum). I went in with an open mind and it started out pretty good and I saw some things that I liked, but then I got into some exhibits and I was weirded out. Sometimes I don’t really know what goes through artists minds as they create these things and I don’t know what goes through the minds of the people who buy it and put it on display as art. I’ve seen too much beautiful art these past few months to accept THAT as art.

After dinner, we wanted to watch a movie and, since we’re reading it, we chose “Wuthering Heights”. Verdict: not my favorite, but I didn’t hate the book like many people did.

SATURDAY

For Saturday morning breakfast, we tried El Posterino (I think that’s what it’s called) down the road. Traditional English breakfasts have yet to let me down.

Today could have been a flop because Annie and I had lots of good things planned, but a few things fell through. Fortunately, we’re in London and so we have plenty of back-up plans. We wanted to go see Abbey Road, but the tube was stupid. We wanted to get milkshakes at the original Hard Rock CafĂ©, but the line for waiting was really long. So, we did our last assigned walk for our cultures class. This one is called the theatre walk and so it took us down Drury Lane (no, no muffin man). We stopped by the Somerset House to check out the gallery (for free!-bless you, student cards) where I saw a print that looked really familiar to me by Monet. I’m 95% sure that my mom has a print of it in our house and that’s why I know it so well. I liked the gallery since it had lots of impressionism and the house is cool.

The walk also took us through Covent Garden, which I’ve only been to at night for shows and dessert. I LOVE it during the day! There are tons of stands and stores open and yummy food and, best of all, street performers. I love the energy of this part of town.

We went to Starbucks for a bit to read and rest, then we hit up the British Library. Now THAT place is cool. They had an exhibit out all about Chopin and I really liked it. First, because I love Chopin’s music and playing it especially. Secondly, I saw some of the original manuscripts of some of his works. And thirdly, I discovered that he’s Polish (a distant relative of mine, possibly…?). The main exhibit of the Library contains: original manuscript of Beowulf, original Alice and Wonderland book, a copy of the Magna Carta AND, my personal favorite, notes from the members of the Beatles of when they were thinking up lyrics for their songs, including “Michelle”.

That night, some of us girlies watched “Young Victoria” (again…). Don’t worry people back home, I bought a copy so we can watch it every day when I get back.

SUNDAY

At church, I got to play with the Sunbeams. They are so sweet and energetic and curious. Next Sunday is the last Sunday in our ward and that makes me sad. I’m really going to miss this ward.

MONDAY

After class, Annie and I finished our theatre walk. We did some shopping while we were at it (didn’t get anything…I need to work on that) and went to the National Portrait Gallery for the first time. Some cool art there, but probably not my favorite museum, to be honest.

I've been talking with my mamma lately about our up-and-coming adventures. I found out from her about some plans for this summer regarding our WASHINGTON DC trip!! Not to brag or anything, but all of this traveling has made me an expert traveler and so I’m excited to be a more informed and experienced traveler when we go places this summer. I also found out that we are quite possibly going to Paris, France next summer for my brother’s Senior trip (SENIOR trip?!?!?! Whaaa? Not possible). I’M SOOOOOO EXCITED FOR THAT! And if we spend a week in London, also on this trip, that would be the best thing ever. Especially since I’m going to be leaving London in less than a month against my will.


But I’m excited for things to come this summer. DC trip, seeing my family again, friends coming home from missions. And this trip has made me more ambitious and eager to go out and explore more of wherever I may be.

~Things I’m excited about for when I get home:

-first and foremost, my family. And I’m excited to meet Petunia.

-all of the movies that are English-/French-/Rome-/Irish-related (plus some favs)

-all of the books that I get to read for fun

-Taco Bell

-driving

-memories from my study abroad on my mind

-road trips??

-sunshine

-the beach

I’m sad to leave London, but I have a lot to look forward to...


...like this
...and this...

...and my silly Sam...
...and my beautiful mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment