BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

04 February 2013

My first frustrating experience with the city; and how I found Subway

I've been listening to this song on repeat. I snagged it from Bethany Joy Lenz's blog--she's Hayley on "One Tree Hill." Anna got me hooked on OTH Freshman year and I've been slowly but surely making my way through all 9 seasons. Obsessed.


I have been SO COLD. I hate being cold and I just can't escape it here. It seeps in my bones and I am sore at the end of the day from shivering. Ok ok maybe I'm a bit dramatic and just need to go buy a hat, but it's cold.
The second thing that irks me about this place is how they have hidden everything in the city. Nothing is on the street, nice and easy where I can find it. Everything by where I work is in a building or underground with secret entrances that have no signs. I've wandered around a building's block with my iPhone telling me that what I'm looking for is right at that little red upside-down teardrop. But it's. not. there. Or maybe it is? Underground? IN the building? I don't know. And I haven't gotten enough courage to go inside, yet,(and many buildings are federal office buildings, so I have no business to venture there) so I just wander out in the cold with my confused red upside-down teardrop.
I was especially confused and frustrated during my lunch break last Thursday and my quest to find a Subway. I Google mapped it at work before I left, then confirmed it on my Google maps app. I wanted to find a Subway specifically because I had a gift card and I didn't bring a lunch and it's expensive to eat in the city. The closest Subway was in the mysterious area that I have mentioned, but I figured I could find this Subway, dangit, even if I couldn't find the other things.
Guess what? I had the same results.
It was a secret Subway and I couldn't find it, so I found another one on my map, on the opposite side of the mall.  I was already 20 minutes into my lunch, but I was determined. I walked to the other Subway (a longer walk than I anticipated) and it was a normal Subway, on the outside of a building, right there for me to see. I got that blasted sandwich AND a cookie just because.
On top of this: there were strong winds AND I decided to wear a flowy skirt that day. We're talking 40 MPH winds and a very flowy skirt. And a very hungry, frustrated sandwich-eater. I got back with 5 minutes left of my lunch break.

I walked 2.2 miles in search of a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment