BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

05 February 2013

Month One

This week marks my month of living in DC. It has been hard and scary, but also exciting!!
I keep hearing about this place called Busboys and Poets, a community restaurant that promotes racial and cultural connections. It was named after the poet Langston Hughes, who worked in DC as a busboy before he became a poet. My friends Rhiannon, Isis, and Taryn (who is also my roommate) and I went this place last Wednesday because they were hosting the Story League's short story contest. I love this idea! People sign up to tell stories about a certain topic and this week was music. There were some really funny stories and also some heartwarming ones. The food was really good and the atmosphere can't be beat.


maybe I'll get the courage to get on stage sometime
Friday, I had the opportunity to see Maya Angelou at the NMAI. It was a discussion with Johnnetta Betsch Cole as a kick-off of Black History Month. I was a bit out of my element surrounded by middle-aged black women, but I wanted to go because I studied her life in my senior seminar course last year at BYU. Here are some notes of my favorite moments of the night:
-God put rainbows in clouds. He could have put it anywhere else in the atmosphere. There is so much other stuff up in the atmosphere. But He put rainbows in clouds...Now go out and be the rainbow in someone's cloud.
-It's hard to have courage, but it's so important. You are not going to get courage right away. You have to work up to courage and keep working to get courage.

I had to be in overflow, even though I waited (in the cold) for an hour.
That night, I did what they do in the movies of girls who live in the city: I hung out with my girl friend in sweats and sweatshirts and ordered Chinese take-out then ate it in the living room while watching chick flicks. So city girl, right? We watched "The First Daughter" because we live in DC and we thought it would be awesome.
I'm catching up! Hope y'all survived Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment