BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

31 January 2011

Mondaze

I had a blonde experience. Ok, I don't think it's fully my fault, but you can judge that for yourself.
I spent my whole Sunday writing a paper for my Music 202 class. Maybe it's just me as an English person, but I love when I find a great topic to write about and I get in this groove where I can churn it out in one sitting.  That's what happened with this.  I was writing about the influence of Jacques-Germain Soufflot's Pantheon in Paris and how it was the inspiration for American architecture.  The prompt was (what I thought) the reputation of a person in history and compare their reputation with today.  Which I translate into what the person is known for and compare it to how it has influenced today, right? 
So I finished at a good time, submitted it to my TA for approval, and went to bed.
First thing this morning, this is what I get in my inbox:
Michelle,

You have a big problem here. Your writing is great, your organization solid and everything, but you completely missed the prompt. If you refer to your syllabus, you have to pick a person, a composer, artist, or an author (and yes, architect is fine too) not a style. This paper is supposed to contrast and talk about the reputation of a person during their day and today. You could pick Soufflot as your person and use his influence on architecture in America as one example of his reputation. However, you can't write about an architectural style. And if you choose to write about Soufflot, his influence on buildings in America can really only be one example, one point in your paper. You would need to have more information on Soufflot and his reputation, more examples, more facts etc. to prove your point. I'm sorry to say this, but you are going to have to completely write a new paper. You are not writing about the prompt. Please, see the syllabus once more. Pick a person and then contrast their reputation.

Good luck!

"You have a big problem here"..."I'm sorry to say this, but you are going to have to completely write a new paper."
What a way to start off my week.

The paper was due at 5 and I had work until 12, class until 3, an appointment at 3.  So I skipped my last class and rescheduled my appointment all so that I can write a whole other paper on a less appealing topic.  I promise I listened in class when he explained it and I did read the syllabus.  I remember not being excited about the prompt so maybe yesterday's paper was the result of me making it into a better topic for myself.
The story ends ok.  I turned it in by 4:30.  But I almost wanted to turn the other one in just to prove to my teacher that I can write decent papers on interesting topics.
Happy Monday, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment