BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

26 January 2011

for l'artiste in all of us

I'm currently sitting in my Music 202 class, learning about the genius that Mozart was.  Can I mention, first off, how much I love this class?  I love music, we all know that.  As of this last year my interest in art transformed from a mild respect to love.  And, duh, I love literature.  Music+Art+Literature+taught by an Aussie who knows everything there is to know about all of the above=Music 202.  Highly recommend it.
Anyways, being in the class reminded me of the opportunity I had to go to the Carl Bloch exhibit at BYU's Museum of Art with my good friend Cameron, recently.  I first heard about Carl Bloch in London, when some of my friends from the program went to Copenhagen, Denmark for a weekend trip.   A lot of his original works is in Copenhagen, including as part of the altarpieces for some churches there.  Bloch's work is frequently featured in LDS publications, as you Mormons out there will probably realize.  BYU was able to get some of the altarpieces in addition to paintings and etchings on loan to display at the MOA.  If you are at all interested in art, GO SEE IT.  It was so beautiful and was probably one of the most spiritual experiences that I've had involving art. 
{Christ Healing the Sick at Bethsada}

Even though Bloch was Catholic and I am Mormon, meaning we have some different views on Christ's life, I felt the central message of Christ's love that he relayed in each of his paintings.  I have a testimony of the fact that reading the scriptures is not the only way to learn about and draw closer to Christ, our Savior.  I believe that it is possible to feel the Spirit and to understand our Savior's life through art and music.  And I did draw closer to my Savior through the work of Carl Bloch.
{Peter's Denial}

No comments:

Post a Comment