BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

23 September 2012

The Ericksen's Guide to BBQ in the Portland Area

This experiment is headed by Dad Ericksen.  He loooovveeess his BBQ and so when he gets to choose where we eat, it's BBQ.  So we have tried a few places in Tualatin and East Portland that we thought were yummy.  This is ironic, since Portland is known for their vegan or vegetarian dietary habits (I will have to tell you about some yummy vegan places sometime).  Here it is! What you all have been waiting for!  The Ericksen's Guide to Eating BBQ in the Portland Area!!!  Duht duht duh duhhhhhhaaaa!

Russell Street BBQ~ 325 NE Russell Street, Portland, OR, 97212
Virginian BBQ
Pros: I am a big fan of pulled pork, so I tend to get it at places with BBQ options.  Russell's has really good pulled pork.  Also, my dad is most satisfied with the "meat-a-palooza" option here than anywhere else.  It's a lotta meat.  And I like the atmosphere.  They have lots of different pig figurines hanging out around the restaurant.  In other words, it's cute, but not overbearing-this-is-a-bbq-place-dangit.
Cons: It's popular, so it can be busy.  That can be a pro, though, except from the lack of waiting space/benches.  They don't take reservations, either.
Sam showing how it's done 
love my pulled pork and potato salad!

Podnah's Pit~1625 Killingsworth, Portland, OR
Texan BBQ
Pros: The atmosphere is fun and Portland-ish. It's in the heart of East Portland, so you can do other things, too, like grab dessert afterwards, and feel like a Portlander.  The meat platter does NOT skimp; I had to share mine with my mom and we still didn't finish.  My mom is a beef brisket fan and she really liked the beef brisket (as did I).
Cons: Street parking only.  Also a bit of a wait since it is popular.  
not my picture

the meat platter my mom and I had to share

Famous Dave's~three locations in the Portland area
Chain Restaurant, but I think they shoot for Texan BBQ
Pros: I super love their cornbread and potato salad.  They have lots of choices for sauces.  The decor is cute.  
Cons: My dad is a little disappointed about the wimpiness of the equivalent of the "meat-a-palooza," since there are only two meats you can have, unless you add $3.99 more per addition of type of meat.  

Pine Shed Ribs~17730 Pilkington Rd, Lake Oswego, OR
Pit BBQ
Pros: The menu said one side for my particular choice, but when I got my plate, I also got chips and a pickle! A pickle, I tell ya!  The cornbread was really good.  I got the pulled pork sandwich and it was also really good.  I hear their white mac n cheese is also good, but they were out.  They also claim on their menu that they only get meat from local vendors, if that suits your fancy.
Cons: Of course, my dad got the meat platter and he and my mom loved the almond smoked chicken.  However, the rest of the meats they complained were a little dry compared to the other places.  Also, we were unsettled by the fact that you have to order in one spot and then walk in the rain to another area to sit.  So, this place is probably more fun in the summer during a quick lunch time when you can just eat standing up outside or you don't have to get rained on going to the eating area.




We are still on our quest to discover good places to eat in Portland Metro area and this includes our BBQ spots.  Let us know if there are any good places you'd recommend to us, BBQ or not!

2 comments: