BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

08 February 2011

Why I Love Being an English Major, Part 2

This is what I do:
I explicate poems. That means I look so in depth into a poem that it ends up looking like this. Search for themes, hidden stories, patterns, literary elements. And then I write a paper about it.  LOVE IT!
I was thinking the other day about the fact that maybe these posts might come off a bit prideful, but I think that finding my niche is nothing to be ashamed of. 
Today in class, one of my fellow English buddies was complaining about the weather.  I turned to her and said: "You are being so dramatic! In a way an English major would! Go...write a poem or something!" 
So don't hate. When we feel extreme emotion, we usually create something awesome. Like Keats' "To Autumn", when he loved the weather.  Like Jane Austen's "Persuasion", when she wanted to say something about the social classes of her day.  Like Martin Luther King, Jr. when he wanted to take a stand. (shout out to Black History Month!)  We feel, and therefore we create.  And that is why today I love being an English major.

1 comment: