BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

13 February 2011

the nail on the coffin of my perpetually single life

And I'm famous!
ok, well, not really, but I was quoted in the Daily Universe yesterday.
One of my good friends from Freshman year put up as her status one day that she needed people who dislike Valentine's Day to interview. Obviously, I was the perfect candidate for the job, seeing how much I dislike this holiday. She's in the Journalism program here at BYU and for one her classes she needed to write an article that may or may not be chosen for the Daily Universe.  She called me later, saying that her professor wanted her to double-check if it's ok for me to be quoted.  I responded, "Yeah, sure I don't care!" La di da di da.
Yesterday, I ran into a friend on my way to studying in the library who said that he picked up the 411 (DU's Friday edition) for the Jimmer article and spotted my name in the paper. I sat down at a computer and started to study for the test that I had in 45 minutes, but I couldn't focus and finally read the article.  I kind of chuckled to myself the whole time (mind you, the library is pretty quiet) but was also a bit mortified that someone had actually read it.  But how many people will read the articles that follow a Jimmer story?, I wondered to myself. 
I went and took my test, not really thinking about it, but I didn't have to wonder for much longer because when I came out I had a text from another boy that said that he had spotted me. Then another girl friend. Then a comment on FB.  Oh.
Then last night I went to the guys' apartment for an anti-Valentine's Day party and the article was taped on their door.  Later that night, they made me sign it.  I have officially become the face of all single people out there on Valentine's Day.  You know what?  I was a little embarrassed at first about it, but now it has actually made it a bit better for me this year. Add a little spice to life by not hiding the single-ness this time.
My friend Anna texted me: "Maybe some guy will read it, and decide that he wants to prove you wrong :)"
The truth is, I have been trying to avoid this topic, with S.A.D. around the corner and everything. But I can't avoid it now that it's in print. I am single.  And I have always had harsh feelings towards Valentine's Day.  I literally dread it.  Probably because I have always been single around this time of year and I'm a hopeless romantic.  Bad combination.  I seriously have had only one or two really good Valentine's Days during the 21 years of my existence.  And I hope someday that a guy will prove me wrong.

3 comments:

  1. You're a brave soul. :) Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy to help you out, girlfriend!
    you're such a great writer, and I'm so jealous that you get to be published!
    love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog from Annie's blog. Have you heard Romeo and Juliet by the Indigo Girls? I hadn't heard the version here and it was a fun surprise. I had a friend at BYU who always talked about bouquets of razor blades and dead roses on v-day. Hang in there! You're young and you're doing good things!

    ReplyDelete