BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

03 November 2010

Absolution

Mi amiga y roomie Annie Spackman is in the Accounting program here at beewhyewe. Since she's smart and stuff, she gets the Wall Street Journal every day.  What's nice about her receiving this newpaper is that it is a re-usable resource and so I can read it, too.  Yesterday, she directed me to an article that was eye-opening for me and thus slightly embarrassing/shocking/true.  It's about an issue that has risen with our technologically-based generation.  Maybe.  It's short, so you should read it, but for the impatient, it's about how our society's interactions have been affected by the word "maybe". "Maybe I'll go on that date with you", "I dunno, maybe I could go", "I'm not sure, I might be able to go".  I am so annoyed by those people. I had a party at my place about a month ago that I sent an invite for through Facebook.  out of the 40 people that I invited, only 21 answered definitively (18 yes, 3 no).  The rest were maybes or awaiting replies.  This really really bugged me.  You couldn't take the time to make a decision?  If you can't come, you can't come. If you genuinely don't know, then it's fine to hit maybe. But 18 who didn't even hit maybe? Thanks.
I was thinking about this and realized that I do the SAME THING.  Oh, dear...
For example, last week a friend invited me to play broomball with a group that night.  I already had some plans and I don't like broomball to begin with, BUT I didn't know about my plans for sure and I didn't want to be rude, so I answered: "I'm not sure, it depends on how things work out tonight".  Not a definitive answer. Non-committed answer.  Wussy answer.  So a couple of hours later, while I was doing the plans that I was working on when she texted me, she texted me again: "Michelle, what are you doing tonight?"  Now, texts are ambiguous a lot of the time, but that was pretty straight-foward.  Translation: "Michelle, stop being wishy-washy and tell me if you are going with us tonight or not. Come on."  Ooops.  And you wonder why she hasn't talked to me since?  Because I'm a wuss who doesn't want to step on any toes! 
So, my resolution is to stop being a maybe person.  I'm going to make a decision and communicate that decision effectively. 

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment