BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

16 December 2012

I Found Christmas

I am constantly in shock with the reception of my poetry.  I'm not trying to toot my own horn here.  I do it mostly as a joke or as a filler for something, yet people end up liking my stuff! I think I will keep posting things, if you guys will let me!
Like today.  I gave a talk in my ward about Christmas and I was supposed to talk about my feelings of Christmas and Christ.  I had a section written out, but it was under time, so I decided to look for a story or poem to throw in there about Christmas just for fun.  But I couldn't find anything good, so at 11:30 on a Thursday night, I whipped out a poem about Christmas to fill space.
After I gave the talk today, people didn't come up and say that they were impressed with my tie-ins of Christmas with lots of good scriptures from Isaiah and the Book of Mormon, which I had really thought out this week.  Instead, they were like, "Hey! I liked your poem a lot! I want a copy!"  What? Thanks? What?
So here is my filler Christmas poem. Enjoy!

Where Is Christmas?
By Michelle Ericksen


Where is Christmas?
It is December’s holiday,
Some Christians may say.
But others may complain
And forget about the name
Of the man who is Emmanuel
Because correctness is political.

Where is Christmas?
It is lost in the all stuff,
And in St. Nick’s bearded fluff,
The songs about the reindeer,
And whose heart goes to whom this year

I found Christmas.
In the Salvation Army ringers,
And the door-to-door singers,
The increase in happy greetings,
And the big family meetings.

I found Christmas.
In the words of a devotional.
In the love so emotional.
Surrounded by more charity
And reflective new year clarity.

They found Christmas.
In the sky late at night,
‘Neathe the star shining bright,
With the sheep grazing near
Under the angels they do hear.

They found Christmas.
In the arms of Mary
In a place contrary
To the birthplace of a King,
Of whom the angels sing.

There is Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. Holy smokes, I LOVE that poem!! When you became famous and self-publish your poetry, I'll buy them. Also, if you dedicated one to me...I mean I wouldn't hate it. :)

    ReplyDelete