BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

17 March 2011

To Glee, or not to Glee?

I'm back! And how refreshing it is. I really love blogging and I'm always thinking about it when I'm not doing it.
Yesterday in my Brit Lit class we discussed Matthew Arnold's "The Function of Criticism", which I didn't really understand until the discussion, but now I'm a fan!  Actually, more of a fan of the criticism part. Since I'm required to read and interpret everything critically for my major, I've become a critical person. Not in the negative connotation of the word, but as in the critical thinking connotation of the word.  I won't bore you with the whole discussion (which I finded interesting, but that's because I love my major ha), but basically one can be a critic only if they have some sort of authority on the subject or experience in the field, particularly experience on the other side of the critique.
This week's critique is about one of my favorite shows, Glee.  My credentials for being a critic on this topic is the fact that I've been a musician most of my life and I'm a fan of the show.  But who's to judge? I'm going to critique it, either way. A bit of history, first. When it first became big, I avoided it because I just didn't like it and didn't like how much everyone else liked it. I also didn't like one of the episodes that I heard about/saw clips of because it was dirty. But then I watched my first official episode and instantly became hooked. I LOVED the music, most of all.  So I became a faithful Gleek.

Back to the dirty part. Every once and awhile, a dirty episode would come on and I would have to be careful with which episode I chose to watch.  But I still LOVED the music.  Since the beginning of this year, however, I've had to be more and more careful as certain relationships and characters progressed during this season.  But I still LOVED the music.  The past month or so I have been irritated by the show.  I still LOVED the music, BUT the show's plot was disappointingly turning for the worst.  Openingly supporting and creating homosexual relationships for both male and female characters.  Promoting pre-marital sex not only in life, but in high school life.  Accepting the fact that there is underage drinking and there's really nothing to do about it.  Then tainting the wonderful music that we've enjoyed this year with pieces to enhance their views on these subjects ("Afternoon Delight", "Blame it on the Alcohol", "Like a Virgin", etc). 
What probably upsets me most about this is the fact that they have had feel-good episodes.  These are the episodes that I've loved watching.  Episodes about dealing with death.  Learning to accept yourself for who you are.  Serving those who need help more than you do.  Using music to unite family and friends.  It really can be inspiring and fun to watch.
Here are some examples of my favorite moments:

Mercedes trying to comfort Kurt after his dad goes into a coma

"Imagine" with the Glee kids and a deaf choir

I just love the dancing! Especially since it's Artie (who's in a wheelchair in the show). Feel-good episode.

I just love weddings. And this song.
What also upsets me is that I know that most of the viewership comes from high school and college-level kids who are drawn in by the fun music.  Shoot, that's how I got hooked!  Now I have to deal with this crap that they've thrown in between the songs. 
You may ask why I don't just stop watching.  Well, I might just do that.  I can still find good music elsewhere.  But I will still miss the Glee that I loved before.
For more on this subject, which I thought was interesting and well-put, here's from (professional) critic Robert Bianco from USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/reviews/2011-03-15-glee15_ST_N.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment