BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

04 July 2010

district o columbia, part uno

TOTALS
museums = 6
monuments/memorials = 7
Nando trips = 3
Books bought = 6

WEDNESDAY
After a journey that started out at 5:15 AM, when we made it to our hotel, I headed straight to the pool.  Oregon has been having issues with getting it together on the whole summer means sunshine thing.  So you could imagine how happy I was to sit by the pool, in the shade, and still be warm.  The whole trip was in the 90s and while my family was suffering, I was relishing.
That night we took our first metro ride (instant flashbacks from London) to downtown to see all of the memorials at night...

{Washington...WWII...Lincoln}

THURSDAY
After breakfast, we took a tour of the Capitol. This was one of favorite things that we did. We had to apply about 6 months in advance for it with a representative from Oregon so they could do background checks and such.  An intern working for the OR rep. showed us around. We saw where the Reps offices are and the original Supreme Courts (they were in the same building until 1933, something that I didn't know!). 

{Original Supreme Court}

We went into the crypt where the center of DC is.  There's a star marking the center and it's worn down due to everyone rubbing it for good luck.
Then we saw the second Supreme Court, where there are plaques marking the spots where the desks of some past famous Congressmen used to sit.

Last, was the Rotunda, under where Lady Liberty stands. (dild you know that no statue or monument of a person can be taller than Lady Liberty?)  This was pretty cool, and the guide told us lots of info about it. 

Next, was the Crime and Punishment Museum. Ted Bundy's actual VW Bug is housed here.  This place was pretty cool, it bascially was about famous bad people (mafia, Bonnie and Clyde) and infamous crimes (President assassinations, kidnappings, etc). 
I knew I was going to love DC because of something that I discovered when I was waiting for my family to finish with the museum.  Some of the workers were talking about where they wanted to eat for dinner and I thought I heard someone say "Nandos".  I turned to her and said, "Wait, did you just say Nandos?"  And she said, "Yeah, it's this good chicken place down the street."  I couldn't believe it. NANDOS IN DC?!  Naturally, we went there for dinner and my family loved it.
love.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment