BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

30 January 2010

OPPPAAA!!

THURSDAY
After classes a few of us girlies walked to Hyde Park, a favorite place, to feed the ducks. Bad plan. I stopped to take a picture of the pond with the birds and I turned around to see a horde of hungry, ferocious birds walking towards me. I felt like Deborah in “Night of the Living Dead”. No joke. I look over to see some of the girls standing on the bench throwing bread to hundreds of huddled birds. They had to escape by jumping off the back of the bench. And we ran for it. And they followed. The birds here aren’t afraid of anything and so they will fly as close as possible and make you shriek and duck for your life.
FRIDAY
London Study Day!! Today, we waltzed out into the rain towards Westminster Abbey. You’d think that I’d get sick of seeing churches since they all have the same structure and idea. But they are so different and interesting in their own way. Westminster Abbey was cool because of the people buried there. It’s stuffed full with tombs and memorials. Included among this array: Issac Newton, Darwin, lots of kings and queens (Mary Queen of Scots, William the Conqueror, Elisabeth I, etc), Handel, Geoffrey Chaucer… This is also where the coronation chair is located since this is where the coronations take place.
The group went to another favorite place of mine: The National Gallery.
That night after dinner, we went shopping down by Oxford Circus with the girls. We hit up Gelato Mio (again) afterwards. Some of the people here are really in love with Gelato Mio. Like me.
SATURDAY
This is another reason why Annie and I are friends: our dialogue Friday night…
Annie: “Yeah, let’s go running in the morning. What time did you want to get up for that?”
Me: “Uhhh, I want to sleep in, so whenever I wake up.”
A: “Ok, around when do you think that will be?”
M: “Uhhh I dunno probably around ten…? That’s probably when I’m going to set my alarm. We’ll see, though, I’m pretty tired.”
A: “ok…well I might want to get up before then, but yeah let’s not go too late.”
Saturday morning=I was bright eyed and bushy tailed at 9 am and Annie slept until 10 am. Haha, I love you Anne Spackman.
Annie was originally going to go to London without me, but now I’m here with her and we pretty much own London together. Something that I love doing here is when Annie and I take turns playing and singing; one will play and sing the easy part, one will sing the harder part, then we switch. I’m so relieved that there’s a piano here. Not just for my sake, but because of the fact that there are SO many talented pianists here. We compare and talk music and you can hear the piano throughout the whole centre whenever anyone plays.
Anyways, so Annie and I went on an accidental 4+ mile run today.  It was a good run, as usual. In the afternoon, we went to the British Museum, a fav of mine, and saw some legit mummies and sarcophagususss.
British Museum
:.British Museum:.
Get what’s so awesome about studying in London: we went on a walk through London for homework purposes. Really. We are assigned to walk through London then write about how we feel about what we saw. I’m thinking that Brother Shuler is going to get sick of me being so repetitious in my papers…”I love London a lot I love London a lot I love London a lot I love…”
On our “Walk of the Scholars” we saw the University of London, where Darwin lived, and the British Library. We then paid a visit to Platform 9-and-three-quarters at King’s Cross Station. Ever since we got here and on the tube maps I see King’s Cross Station, I’ve been dying to go. We must’ve looked like hardcore tourists because a man asked us: “’ello, ah’ve goht a question for ya. Ah you possibly looking for plahtform nihne and three quartahs?” (best written representation of a British accent ha)
Coincidentally, when we got back, people were watching Harry Potter 6. Can’t pass that up, of course.
Since I’ve been at college, my grandpa has sent me and my roommates pizza every once and awhile during the school year. How sweet is he? We were talking before I left for London and he was joking about how it’s going to be difficult to send pizza to me in another country. So when I got an email Friday from him about receiving a surprise around 6 to 6:30 on Saturday, I didn’t think it could be pizza. It was pizza. I can’t believe him. And since I have about 7 roommates here in London, I kept it all for myself and Annie hee hee hee.
SUNDAY
I love Sundays here. Since I live with the same 40-something people practically every hour of every day, I don’t get very much Michelle time. Which can be problematic since I need my space sometimes. Sundays, everyone leaves for church early except for only a few people, so the centre’s quiet and I get the bathroom to myself.
Church was way good. I played the piano for Primary and sat in for the older class. The primary is way small. Actually the ward is way small. There’s probably ten to fifteen kids total each week. WAY different than the Meridian Park mass ward.
church-goers
.:Me, Sarah, & Laura coming home from church:.

3 comments:

  1. I will admit that I have a terrible innate sense of direction.
    BUT
    In my defense...
    Give me a map, directions, tube stop, or anything of the sorts and I will never get lost. You know that you've seen that magic happen.
    ok, that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this intentional? "duck for your life." either way it was great to read :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true, Annie. I just went back to read this and realized I didn't give you much credit. And I got us lost a few times, too, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete